Houzz Logo Print
goraem

Help with redesign of our family home please

Graeme W
14 days ago
last modified: 14 days ago

Hello, new here, thanks for having me - I would really appreciate insights or advice who those who have been in our position, or can lean on and offer some

We are a young family with a spec Coral home of approx 110m2 floor.

4 bedroom 2 bathroom

Brick, single story home

In short, our top issues are

1 - Laundry, no cupboard space for linen, towels etc, no place to iron

2 - Kitchen - current pokey angles and limited bench space

3 - Lack of storage and living space causes stressors on family

• There is insufficient storage in the house for us - we try to declutter but keep coming back to this issue. We have bought ikea stand alone cabinets as a temporary solution
  • Over the years we have been in this constant cycle and state of irritation as we get stuck asking, should we move? should we renovate? should be do a partial renovation. It ultimately puts pressure on our families relationship and causes constant stress
  • Wehave gone to a draftsman who provided an extension plan but got busy and didn’t pursue the design. We also thought that changes in walls could make better use of space without the extension/expenditure.

Pros of current place and location

We work locally

The kids go to school locally

We don’t have to travel to far for our jobs

Close to beach

Big shed, pool, bore pump + mains

We have one supportive family close

Conundrum

• Once the kids get older they will need there own space
  • Do we dump money in now to future proof the house or pull the pin and move to somewhere local.
  • We were fortunate to purchase the house at a good price many years ago so our mortgage is relatively small compared to likewise properties. I don’t see us building right now, and if we were to buy we would be increasing our mortgage by + $500K to get similar and potentially solving our problems of now (or potentially not!) but would need to be our forever house to justify the move/increase in mortgage i would think

Moving forward

• I have attached 2 floor plans, one of them i have blanked out most rooms for a bit more visibility of what we are working with.
  • There is potential to close in the garage
  • We are on acreage so can extend on the north and west sides of the below image.
  • The garage sites on the boundary and the road is on the East.
  • Almost all internal walls are non structural.

As you can tell, I am in analysis paralysis! we don’t want fancy, we just want to make our house more functional to reduce stress with our busy life - Mind you i would love high ceiling but I can dream!

Thank you in advance

Sell and move
Full renovation
Renovate the areas affecting you the most and then reassess
I love high ceilings too! take the roof off, gut the place and load up that $$$

Comments (32)