richabbey

Help with Kitchen / Diner Layout

richabbey
last month

Hello,

The current layout of my unit is shown below. It is very dark and has no space to sit and eat in the kitchen.

The plan below has been proposed, partly as I am keen on a booth / bench style dining solution. It is not private to the north. It is single story and so I could use skylights but I would also like to be able to see some greenery in the patio from the kitchen. Could anyone suggest how we could fit in a larger laundry AND build in a dining booth without blocking the light from / view to the patio? Our budget is approx $100k

Comments (37)

• oklouise
    last month

would you consider sacrificing some of bed 3 for a bigger laundry and, although you said there is no privacy on the north side, is there an option for landscaping to screen bad views on the north side without losing light inside and would you sacrifice the sliding glass door off bed 4 for more space in the new dining area and/or a bigger laundry mudroom between garage and new dining area? ...some photos would help

• richabbey
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you Louise, good questions. We'd prefer to move the laundry into Bed 3 (guest bedroom only) and put an external door there too to access hanging space but we have been advised against this. The idea being it is extra expense and reduces resale value as the bedroom will be compromised. I'm not fixed in my thoughts though. We own no land on the north side of the unit beyond that on the plan. We would like a mud room though and the sliding glass door in bedroom 4 is not a deal breaker, but it is dark in that room too. Thanks again.

• Related Discussions

Layout help for kitchen

Q

Comments (7)
    how big is your fridge? I'd have a fridge , built in cupboards to the ceilings that way you can incorporate the wall oven in the design and forget about the bench space..then you'd have roughly 2 metres of a whole wall storage.. from your photo you don't seem to have much storage.. sorry misread since you need cook top. 3metres is quite small as fridge is usually 1m then oven .60-75 which leaves with about 1.25m for pantry and bench? not sure looks like you're trying to fit too much in that space have you got measurements for your hob and fridge ?
    ...See More

Help with kitchen layout...kitchen too darn BIG!

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks everyone - your comments and diagrams have given me plenty of ideas I hadn't considered. Perhaps shifting the wall is a little drastic! I'm now thinking of going a long U shape like this. I'll add a few upper cabinets on the left side too for the most frequently used stuff from the pantry (as the pantry is still a distance from the stove/oven). The fridge as you can see is now right amongst the action. We also have a chest freezer hiding out in the laundry which I can move into the old fridge space...alternatively I might convert it to a computer workstation as suggested. I'm leaning towards a peninsula rather than an island, just because I feel like it will give me a slightly more efficient/seamless work space, and we don't expect seating at at the island/peninsula will get used much given how close the dining table is. Any thoughts on this revised layout?
    ...See More

Kitchen / Diner Help! 5.3m x 5.8m

Q

Comments (25)
    is there a deck outside bed 2 with steps down connecting to the alfresco at teh lower level alfresco ...i suggest that the existing sliding doors with alfresco will save far more than the cost of the new plumbing for a kitchen at the lower level...the actual cabinets will cost the same regardless of where they are located but a large empty room without any restrictions will mean that the cabinets will be less restricted in the lower room but, i'm also wondering if there will be renovations to the rest of the house as it's much better to plan the whole house renovation at the same time even if the work is completed in stages eg the original kitchen and central area could make a cosy media space
    ...See More

Kitchen layout fridge help

Q

Comments (5)
    Fridge at the end means people can come and grab a drink or snacks from the fridge without impeding someone cooking or doing food prep.
    ...See More
  • siriuskey
    last month

How many will be living in the house and why are you showing the large Living room as the Office instead of perhaps Bed 3. Are you able to fence off the North side shown or plant for privacy, can you add pergola's

• oklouise
    last month
    last modified: last month

is the bench style dining due to limited space or a personal preference as extending into the extra square of external space makes a much bigger potential dining area but my initial thoughts include these two option: a new laundry mudroom is only the existing distance between garage and original back door with no sliding external door to bed 4 and more space in the dining area, the laundry in bed 3 is virtually a Euro laundry to combine back to back with new kitchen sink location and i wouldn't add an extra external door to allow the utility room to retain multi purpose use and assume that you already access rear garden through the garage? (and check out illume and arcol solar skylights that are much cheaper than traditional skylights and more can be added in multiple locations without compromising the roof) and would an extra window on western side of living room be an option and what about high windows in the new dining area on the north side?

• siriuskey
    last month

What space do you have at the rear of the building, South side

• richabbey
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks all, there's my wife and two kids to cater for. The land to the north of the dining area is a roofed carport not on our title so pretty restrictive (including west facing window from the living room). We have 2m to the boundary on the south side. Mudroom would be well positioned where you suggested except for it cuts out most light to Bed 4 and the patio area needs to be sufficient to have a dining table and BBQ. Also, we could swap bed 3 and the office but we work from home and prefer the larger space and light and keep the pokey bed 3 for guests!

• oklouise
    last month

renovations are always about compromise so what about the alcove in bed 4 accessed from the garage for the new laundry? and that leaves generous pantry, kitchen and dining space and central placement of the opening for the new sliding back door will retain more useable space for a barbq and bench and bottom of window into bed 4 and dining area should be above 75cms to allow for built in seating and furniture inside and out (although a simple extending dining table would fit the new dining space more comfortably) but a non full height western window will be more flexible for furniture placement and easier to screen against fierce western sun and you may find that a retractable awning will also make the patio more comfortable in hot weather...

richabbey thanked oklouise
  • PRO
    Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
    last month

Hello Richabbey, It is a dilemma when the kitchen is central like that and it does make it very dark. I do not mind the new arrangement except the laundry is too small: I do not think Euro laundry work except for two bed units. However I like the walk thru laundry from garage to dining area: much better. It will make the court smaller but I think that is better. and the pantry could work well with two benches for appliances to be used in there and maybe there is room for another cupboard for coats or linen? Looks good: Enjoy! Margot

richabbey thanked Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
  • siriuskey
    last month

The cost of the small extension won't give you any advantage, I would work within the current foot print.

Use the bathroom plumbing to add a large laundry cupboard and make the entry more interesting.

Open up the wall between the kitchen and lounge, use highlight windows above dining alcove, with sliding doors to alfresco outdoor living this could have a pergola

Add a sliding door to the guest bed 3 for access to rear of property and clothes line plus allow extra light.

The kitchen without a WIP gives more space and if it is fitted correctly will be very handy.

Lots of possibilities

• Kate
    last month

Better

• siriuskey
    last month

Can you post a google shot showing your property and your immediate neighbours so we can see what land is included in your property, thanks

• siriuskey
    last month

This if I have misunderstood your property

richabbey thanked siriuskey
  • bigreader
    last month

With the budget you have, seriously consider working within the existing footprint of the house. You may need to forgo the pantry.

• Kate
    last month

Keeping extension to the garage link for new laundry - connecting from ensuite plumbing

richabbey thanked Kate
  • richabbey
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you so much, awesome input. Not sure how to respond to it all but every post has an element we will try and incorporate. The red line shows the boundary of the building and the green is the boundary of the title. The carport labelled in red is not ours :(

• bigreader
    last month

Thx for posting the roof. Is the back bedroom and some of the main house in an extension? Are you spoken to the Council to see if you can push the walls out as your proposed plan?

• richabbey
    Original Author
    last month

Here is an embarrassingly rough effort including some of the input from you guys using the original floorplan. I like the idea of the laundry in the hall except smaller to make it symetrical (I can't put the laundry between the house and the garage as that would only leave a small highlight one the south side of bedroom 4. I also like the idea of the larger pantry. I like the idea of opening up the lounge AND I like the idea of a cosy booth.

• richabbey
    Original Author
    last month

I know it does not all fit together, but it is getting there

• richabbey
    Original Author
    last month

Here is a version with the expanded footprint (we could use the garage for the laundry - it is long enough, even if we did park there.

• richabbey
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks again everyone.

• Kate
    last month

Hi can you add that carport belonging to neighbour on your plan. Where is the turning circle for the car to access/egress the carport? In your latest plan you are losing your hall cupboards and steeling space from bedroom for laundry? Where is the value there

• richabbey
    Original Author
    last month

Sorry. the laundry was terrible draftsmanship on myh part (as is the carport). I have no idea how someone was supposed to access the carport without reversing up the driveway or vice versa (even when minis were small it would have been impossible to do a three point turn).

• bigreader
    last month

One of the expensive issues you’ll need to tackle is if you’re moving or adjusting the original pre-extension back wall of the house. It will be holding up the roof. Do you need a larger laundry for doing laundry? Or do you just need more storage?

• oklouise
    last month

using siriuskey's excellent idea for the walk in laundry near the front door with a variation for a cavity sliding door and extra storage and no changes to exterior walls (except for new windows?) would allow for a new kitchen and meals area but there wouldn't be enough space for a walk in pantry plus reasonable sized island but still a generous kitchen with plenty of storage, big fridge, wall oven, double sink with DW, 1500 wide reach in pantry and space for a big island plus a simple oval table plus L shaped bench for the eating area which would be big enough for seating about 8 people but, as always careful measurements of existing space will confirm options as dimensions on the plan can be misleading ...eg what is the precise length of the three walls around the proposed built in seating??

richabbey thanked oklouise
  • bigreader
    last month

There is def a better flow without the WIP.

richabbey thanked bigreader
  • dreamer
    last month

With having minimal open space on your title of land already….would the council allow you to extend your property? You may go over the build to open space ratio. As shown by the improvements above from others, there is no real need to extend the property.

• richabbey
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you Louise, thats awesome (although sad no WIP). I like the idea of the hallway being symetrical, what do you think to moving the storage to the mud room? Note the laundry would only be 90cm deep so may not be walk in, but we have v high ceilings so we could have linen above that.

• oklouise
    last month

if the dimensions on your plans are correct the new laundry should be about 1500 deep and 1700 wide so (with a 90cm deep hallway to access bathroom and bed 2.. just enough space to stand inside the laundry while operating the machines

and storage in the entry hall could be a freestanding chest of drawers or cabinets and there should be storage space in the mudroom but if you carefully confirm measurements of every room we may be able to suggest other options but avoiding major changes to external walls could halve your costs so well worth compromising...

• siriuskey
    last month

More suggestions for you, seeing what land is available your property is more a "Town house"

To open up the interior to your courtyard I would add a sliding door off the kitchen. The narrow entrance from the garage could be kept as is or closed off to form part of the master for privacy, as rear entrance into the house can be via the courtyard into the kitchen diner

Also suggest that there could be a doorway where the doted lines are to give privacy from the current kitchen dinner to the master as it's currently very exposed

The new kitchen Pantry is one that I did for a friend, it's open to the kitchen so no dark corners, the full height open shelves for food and easy access faces away from the family room so content won't be seen, the extended bench could have another sink or just be for appliances etc. You could also have another door on that end wall, but at the moment it gives you a great space to have a side table. with the skylight above.

In this floorplan I suggest using the 3rd bed as a Utility/laundry using kitchen plumbing which with a sliding door will throw more light back into the house plus ventilation with access to the clothes line For resale the front Living room can be multifunction and classed as a 4th bed if needed by closing off the double doors, access is via the front entrance and more convenient to the family bathroom than the current bed 3

• siriuskey
    last month

Thanks for your lovely comment OKL,

thinking overnight that the 3 most important things to richabby. 1) Banquette dining. 2) WIP 3) larger laundry

So decided that I would use bed 3 for the utility as there are already enough rooms to replace it if necessary and felt this will make for better use of the rooms. The small entrance room outside the Master could suit most people as a study.

• bigreader
    last month

A wall of storage could be adding to the front living space with push to open doors the same colour as the wall. Unobtrusive and there a good amount of space for shelving.

• siriuskey
    last month

Another thought still taking bed 3, as there are enough rooms to provide 4 beds if and when wanted.

• siriuskey
    last month

Forgot to add the Powder room

• PRO
    Jean L
    last month

Another option to your version, close off b3 door so everything shuffle across you can increase wip, i just prefered straight bench seat than corner, so hard to get in and out. Laundry near entry is a great idea , i'll just reorganised walls for flexibility of movement. Good luck!

richabbey thanked Jean L
  • siriuskey
    last month

Great to see all the variations as we know there are always many, your budget of around $100k will guide what you are able to achieve, cheers

richabbey thanked siriuskey
  • richabbey
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks again everyone, I was showing your suggestions to friends and family over the weekend and they were all heartened by the community spirit as well as the value you added.