kristine_mobbs13

how do i make my symmetrical dining/lounge/office area work?

Kristine Mobbs
5 months ago

I've tried to find an example of my home's dumb layout on the internet for inspiration on how best to make it feel less blocky and claustrophobic, so far nothing exists. The dining/ designated tv area (now the kids area with TV and toys) is separated from the 'formal lounge' area (now half office half couch TV) by a double brick wall with a central archway and cutout rectangle windows on either side. The formal lounge immediately drops down like your traditional sunken formal areas of yesteryear.

The formal lounge is completely symmetrical, 2 bay windows at the end, windows on every wall and a sliding door exiting to one side. My house is screaming to be open plan but i cant cause of the uneven floor and brick wall. How do you open the space up in a symmetrical layout because opening up either side of the arch then sets everything off balance. See photos for reference. Also the double brick wall is load bearing so i dont know how much of it i could remove. The key reason i cant figure this out is because i REALLY want to put an electric fireplace somewhere, but the area is so symmetrical i dont know where to put it.

how do i open this up and add a fireplace?

*NOTE ignore the furniture

Comments (14)