evie_s_star

What colour to paint exterior of house ??

Evie S-star
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello there

We have a home that was originally a single storey 1950 house, which was renovated to a double storey in 2000, and rendered on the outside. I'm not sure what the style of the home is now. The trimmings are red which we do not like.

We are looking to repaint the trimmings, the driveway, and maybe the exterior walls and roof. E.g., Monument

roof, white trimming, grey walls.

Wondering what colours you suggest ?? and / or what can be added to make the exterior look better ??

Thanks in advance !

Comments (12)

• macyjean
    2 years ago

Do you use all the front parking?

I'm sure something could be done with the colours but equally noticeable is the amount of paving. Even if you need that parking area and level access to the door, I think some more greenery on the right side between the house and paving would help.

• Evie S-star
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi macyjean - yes we do use the paving for parking. was thinking of painting the paving grey ot match the rest of the newly painted exterior (assuming we go with grey). You've made me think about leveling out the space tho !

That is a good idea about the greenery on the right. Perhaps we will plant some items under the window on the right.. =)

• Bec
    2 years ago

I’m not great with exterior colour selections but wow, that’s an amazing house. And I love your paving as it is.

• User
    2 years ago

It has a sort of Tuscan/ Mediterranian vibe , and I like most of the features ( that chimney design is clever , for example , and the way the paving is wearing is great ! ) . You say about red trim , but to me it looks like a reddy brown , which suits .

The bluey greeny board doesn't suit , and doesn't go with the roof either ( I assume the roof is all those charcoal tiles ? ) . Ordinarily , I'd say to lighten the render and go with a darker board -- probably charcoal , but then thats just a continuation of the roof . BUT I like the weathered vibe of the existing render , and I like how the windows etc works with the render too .

So here's my 'easy' improvement -- leave it mostly as it is , but change 2 things . The downpipe and collector near the door ( the single story one ) I'd change to genuine copper ( not just paint ) ; and the barge board around the top I'd change to either crisp white ( the safe option ) or a metallic coppery bronze -- that references the downpipe but also ties in and transitions between the render and the tiles . A bit riskier , but IMO worth trying .

• Evie S-star
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@bec - you are too kind. we recently purchased the property and needs some updates, however, we feel fortunate to have found something in the current sellers market.

@pottsy99 had not considered changing the downpipes and the guttering / board - these as you say would be good easy solutions to improve the overall look. yes, the trim is more reddish brown as you say - maybe changing things around it will make the colour look a little less imposing.. e.g. the copper look..

@bigreader - had not thought of the terracotta tiles being the stand out on their own ! will reconsider painting them, and rather, leave them as they are.. paying a colour consultant might be a good idea as well.. for the overall look. you have a good eye - yes, there is a sad looking succulent, and a little planting space under the right window - perhaps we can freshen that up as a start..

• Evie S-star
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@bec - you are too kind. we recently purchased the property and needs some updates, however, we feel fortunate to have found something in the current sellers market

@pottsy99 had not considered changing the downpipes and the guttering / board - these as you say would be good easy solutions to improve the overall look. yes, the trim is more reddish brown as you say - maybe changing things around it will make the colour look a little less imposing.. e.g. the copper look..

@bigreader - had not thought of the terracotta tiles being the stand out on their own ! will reconsider painting them, and rather, leave the colour as it is. paying a colour consultant might be a good idea as well for advice for which colours for the overall look. and you have a good eye ! yes, there is a sad looking succulent and a little planting space under the right window - perhaps we can freshen that up with some new plants as a start..

• Julie Herbert
    2 years ago

Wow! Beautiful house, a colour consultant as suggested is a great idea , your house has the classical up market look, you could add beautiful classic planters or go ultra modern, love the paving, a pressure wash will bring it back to its original state, your side garden is the perfect spot for a water feature, for inspiration look at Peter Fudge, Jack Merlo, Paul Bangay, it’s a really beautiful house

Evie S-star thanked Julie Herbert
  • Kate
    2 years ago

Colour is a personal choice and you don’t Like the red so change it. Personally I don’t like the black door, looks like a dark hole in this picture . I’m sure it looks lovely up close. I would invest in some lovely large white pots and add some low colour and tall plants to left of door. You have a couple of straggly plants in ground to right of door, either make that area bigger and replant or more pots,

Evie S-star thanked Kate
  • Anne Monsour
    2 years ago

I would paint it white with navy trims and a navy garage door .Put a row of planters across the front wall .

Evie S-star thanked Anne Monsour
  • Evie S-star
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Julie for your suggestions on designers ! Will take a closer look

Thanks Kate about the white pots. What colour would you paint the door ??

Thanks amonymouseanne for your colour suggestion - white seems to be the popular colour choice ! navy is very interesting.

We ended up making an appointment with a colour consultant, so can bring these ideas to her as well =)

• gregpratt1960
    2 years ago

I'm interested in chatting with some people currently in the renovation market for research on a new platform that will tag paint types and colours and show you the closest property with that colour. If you are interested in looking at a prototype please email me at greg@whobuiltthat.com.au. Thanks.